Dr. Xiangyang 'Cheyenne' Xie
Research Interests and Primary Goals
My research interests focuses on:
- reservoir characterization and modeling
- basin analysis and sequence architecture
- regional tectonics and sedimentation.
My primary goals include:
- combining outcrop and subsurface data to document sandstone reservoir characteristics, quality, and potential
- using multidisciplinary approach to understand tectonic processes impact and control to basin evolution and stratigraphy.
Some of my projects include:
- 2D/3D seismic interpretation
- well log interpretation and correlation
- outcrop measurements, sandstone petrology
- geostatistical analysis and reservoir stochastic modeling
- depositional systems and facies analysis
- subsidence analysis and basin modeling
- provenance studies
- U-Pb zircon geochronology
- field mapping
- Xie, Xiangyang, Heller, Paul, 2009. Plate tectonics and basin subsidence history, GSA Bulletin, January, Vol. 121, No.1-2, p. 55-64.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Mann, Paul, Escalona, Alejandro, 2010. Provenance, tectonics, and paleogeography reconstructions: Eocene northern South America constrained by U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, March, Vol. 291, No.1-4, p. 159-171
- Jiang, S., Wang, H., Cai, D., Xie, Xiangyang, Guo, H., 2011. Characteristics of the Tan-Lu Strike-Slip Fault and its Controls on Hydrocarbon Accumulation in the Liaodong Bay Sub-Basin, Bohai Bay Basin, China, Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development, December, Vol.2, No.2, p. 1-11
- Xie, Xiangyang, Heller, Paul L., 2013. U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology and its implications: The early Late Triassic Yanchang Formation, south Ordos Basin, China. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, March, Vol. 64, p. 86-98.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Mann, Paul, 2014. U-Pb detrital zircon age patterns of Cenozoic clastic sedimentary rocks in Trinidad and its implications. Sedimentary Geology, June, Vol. 307, p. 7-16.
- Xie, Xiangyang, 2016. Provenance and sediment dispersal of the Triassic Yanchang Formation, southwest Ordos Basin, China, and its implications. Sedimentary Geology, Vol. 335, p. 1-16.
- Xie, Xiangyang, Cains, Will, Walter, Manger L., 2016, U-Pb Detrital Zircon Evidence of Transcontinental Sediment Dispersal: Provenance of Late Mississippian Wedington Sandstone member, NW Arkansas. International Geology Review, Vol. 58, p. 1951-1966.
- Xie, Xiangyang, O’Connor, Patrick, Alsleben, Helge, 2016, Carboniferous sediment dispersal in the Appalachian-Ouachita juncture: Provenance of selected late Mississippian sandstones in the Black Warrior Basin, Mississippi, United States. Sedimentary Geology, Vol. 342, p. 191-201.
Supervised Graduate Students (2010 to present)
- Taylor Friesenhahn, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2010-2012, employed with ConocoPhillips Houston office
- Elvis Bello, MS student at the University of Arkansas, current PhD candidate at the University of Arkansas
- Brett Whitman, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2011-2013, employed with Marathon Houston office
- William Cains, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2012-2013, employed with Devon Energy in Oklahoma City
- Greg Buratowski, MS student at the University of Arkansas, 2012-2014, employed with Marathon Houston office
- John Anthony, MS student at Texas Christian University, 2013-2015, employed with Concho Resources, Midland, TX
- Patrick O’Connor, MS student at Texas Christian University, 2013-2015, employed Hunt Oil, Dallas, TX
- Robert Cepero, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in December, 2016·
- Matt Linden (co-supervising), MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in December, 2016
- Ali Ramos Gomez, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in May, 2017
- Preston McGuire, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in May, 2017
- Jonathon Weiss, MS geology at Texas Christian University, in progress, expecting to graduate in May, 2017
- Petroleum Geology
- Subsurface Geological data
- Fundamentals of subsurface geology
- AAPG Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) competition
- Globe Tectonics and Basin Analysis (co-teaching with Dr. Alsleben)
- Prospect to Production (assisting Prof. Brogdon)
I am always looking for motivated MS students to work on Tectonics and Sedimentation projects in central China and South America; Basin analysis projects in mid-continental region; and Reservoir characterization and older field re-evaluation projects in Texas and Oklahoma. If you are interested, please contact me (email: email@example.com, phone: 817-257-4395) for more details.